Monday, December 05, 2005

JUSTICE! ~A dish best served cold~

I'll be quick. This isn't my 'end of day' post. (Right, because I have this big following now of readers...) But I wanted to put up a minor victory for John S. Littleguy, USA.

Here's the dirty on it~

I tried to get a loan. From a bank. Not a lot, but definitely not a little. So my brother helped me out, and we went to a friend of his who suddenly became a loan officer. Sufficed to say, I didn't get said loan from the bank, but that's not to say he didn't try.

He tried EVERYTHING. Simply put, I have a shiny and pretty credit score, but my debt (high) to income (none) ratio was out of wack. So that was a no go.

However, as a tactic, he signed me up (unbeknowest to me) for a checking account at CITIBANK so he could attempt to get me a loan THERE.

Still no good.

Now, we had LONG since gone past the need for a loan, HOWEVER, because a checking account was created, without my knowledge OR permission, Citibank felt that it was a good time to charge me a monthly fee for 'using' thier 'checking services'. So they charged a currently UNKNOWN, and UNUSED account their fee, and realized that there was no money in the account. *surprise*. So THEN, they CHARGE me a penalty overdraft fee, for not having any money in the account, that it charged me a fee for having in the first place.

Still with me?

Not long after, I was getting letters telling me that I had a negative balance AND it was totalled to -$30.00. (Which, interestingly enough is MUCH more expensive than a year with Flickr.)

So I called 'em up. Pissed as I was. I was lucky enough to get a call center in either India or the Philippines, with someone named Chris, or John, who was really named Ishmirddhi or Boy-boy to gently tell me that an 'investigation' would be placed on my account.

GOOD.

Now they'll trace their lines, and discover a contract that was NEVER signed by me.

Would that be the end? HELL NO.

I get a letter, a MONTH later saying...

"Our records indicate that on this date and that date, we sent you letters saying you had an account... please pay us money..."

...

Are you KIDDING ME?! Because they have records saying that they sent me LETTERS, that gives them the right to stand their ground on the fact that I owe them money for a service... I DIDN'T EVEN USE or KNOW ABOUT?! (<- whoa, angry much?) At a short time, SIX people were in this house, and at least FIVE of them were getting mail. I sure's hell remember never getting those letters. Anyway, I decided to handle this with a simple tool of social combat:

The Letter.

More effective than an e-mail, because it is tangible evidence. It has been used much longer, and earlier than e-mails, and for some reason has more affect on corporations. I figured that this would be the way to end this gay little game.

I wrote a letter. A polite one. But an effective one. And the same day I got their letter... I launched my own.

"Kakkatte koi yo." { Japanese ~ "Let's rumble, beotch." }

TODAY. Today, justice came home in the mail and I wanted to share it with all my (2) readers out there!



That's RIGHT, nigga!

They did their research, (probably more extensive than seeing if I got some letters) and discovered they tried to get money from someone who has no reason to be affiliated with them at all.

"Checking was closed with a zero balance"

AND

"There is no overdraft balance due at this time."

That's right. Kiss the ring.

Lisa, this victory is dedicated to you, cause I know you used to work there, and it was a MUCH worse place to be than cleaning up human shit all day.

1 comment:

Rufino2 said...

Persistence does pay off. Good for you and your people.