Friday, December 30, 2005

Sinigang with the wind

Well,

It's done. The act of creating sinigang. There was a lot of worry and preparation involved... but in the end... "I'm a sinigangsta".

At first, I was worried... I had added the basic elements:

  • boneless pork ribeye cubes
  • two tomatoes (quartered)
  • one sliced onion
  • salt
  • water
and got a unique concoction that looked like this...

phase1

As far as my experience with eating sinigang is concerned... i ain't NEVER seen something like that. Seriously though. But I persisted, and cooked it for 45 minutes, until the pork was super tender.

With that said and done, I went to the next phase... Tamarind Base, Patis, Veggies and Chile...
(Would you believe they ACTUALLY had Tamarind base here? Not to mention patis.)

So then it looked like this~

phase2

So now I was really worried... mostly because I'd never seen sinigang with that much... eggplant. Usually we (the filipino people) would use sili (pronounced sea-lee) instead of that honkingly large anaheim chili pepper. Sili looks like a small yellowish/green pepper that simmers with the soup, and then is removed later to create a spicy dip. But regardless of HOW huge it looked, I persisted by letting it simmer for an hour...

Until it became this~

phase3

Yup. I don't know how it looks to you, but it tasted like home-sweet-home. Even though I was stuck in the middle of frozen middle America, Lisa and I managed to procure the right ingredients to make Filipino Magic.

Tonight's adventure?

Her parents are coming over, and I'm charged with making : Pork Adobo.

Until then!

(By the way, I know I mentioned talking about Donna Watts... but i'll save that for another day!)

No comments: